This year, generous donors to the Knox County Community Foundation are making $10,950 in scholarship awards available through the Foundation’s Community Scholarship Program.
“Many foundation donors have honored their loved ones, high schools, or professions by endowing scholarship opportunities through the Foundation,” says Mary Smith, Regional Director. “We administer separate scholarship funds established by individuals, families, and organizations to assist local students in pursuit of advanced education. Together, these scholarships make up our Community Scholarship Program.”
Students may apply for one or more scholarships, as long as they meet the particular eligibility requirements. Details about each scholarship and the application are posted at: communityfoundationalliance.org/knox/scholarships/opportunities/
Eligibility requirements and selection criteria are determined by donors and are posted on the website. Each scholarship is unique and supports students with a variety of backgrounds, educational goals, and economic status. Awards are made without regard to race, creed, color, sex, religion, or national origin and are based on a competitive process that may consider academic achievement, extracurricular activities, personal aspirations, educational goals, and financial need.
The Foundation offers the following tips to help students complete their applications:
- Begin working on the application early.
- Search for scholarships that match your unique interests and hobbies.
- Take the time to write required essays. It’s worth the extra effort.
- Follow all instructions carefully and make sure to submit all the required parts (including letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc.). Check and double-check your application before submitting.
- Ask a friend or teacher to read your application and essay for any mistakes that you may have missed.
To apply, visit: communityfoundationalliance.org/knox/scholarships/apply/
The deadline to apply is midnight Wednesday, January 25, 2017.