Community Good grants provide funding to charitable organizations for new or ongoing programs and projects that meet a broad range of local needs. Consideration will be given to organizations that demonstrate:
- Commitment to long-range planning, financial stability and sustainability
- Solid, realistic plan for program/project evaluation
- Desire to promote collaboration among organizations or institutions to prevent duplication of services
- Project methodology utilizing a preventative approach to addressing the issue and solving problems
- Evidence of realistic organizational planning and management
We consider requests for grants on a yearly cycle which begins in February. We send information and announcements about our funding programs to nonprofit organizations that are on our mailing list (click here to sign up). The requirements and instructions provided here are to be considered current and accurate only for the duration of the Foundation’s grant cycle, which will run from January through June. Applications will be accepted from January 17 through the February 21 deadline. Applications submitted after the February 21 deadline will not be considered. Grants are made possible by Community Good Unrestricted Funds and various Field of Interest Funds which support a wide variety of needs in Vanderburgh County.
Grant Program Orientation Meeting
Prospective grant applicants are invited to schedule a meeting with Sidney Hardgrave, Regional Director of Community Engagement and Impact, to receive an overview of the funding opportunity and to ask specific questions. Contact Sidney at 812.422.1245, ext. 102 (office) or 812.573.1454 (cell) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an orientation meeting.
The Foundation welcomes funding requests from nonprofit organizations that are deemed tax-exempt under sections 501(c)(3) and 509(a) of the Internal Revenue Code and from governmental agencies serving the county. Applications from nonprofit organizations not classified as a 501(c)(3) public charity may be considered provided the project is charitable and supports a community need. The applicant organization may be required to obtain a fiscal sponsor to receive the grant.
Organizations applying for a grant under the auspices of a verified 501(c)(3) public charity acting as fiscal sponsor (learn more about fiscal sponsors) are required to provide a written statement signed by the fiscal sponsor’s board president confirming agreement to receive grant monies if awarded and to oversee the proposed program/project.
Program Areas Considered for Funding
Please visit our Program Areas page for details about the kinds of projects and programs supported through our Community Good Grants Program.
- Arts and Culture
- Community Development
- Human Services
- Other Civic Endeavors, such as the Environment, Recreation, and Youth Development
Project Areas NOT Considered for Funding
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Political parties or campaigns
- Endowment creation or debt reduction
- Operating costs (Costs that keep the organization running and the doors open, i.e., general computer software or hardware, staff salary, general office supplies or equipment, utilities, etc. However, operating costs directly related to the program/project of a 501(c)(3) public charity may be considered.)
- Capital campaigns
- Annual appeals or membership contributions
- Travel requests for groups or individuals such as bands, sports teams, or classes
The grants committee will make its recommendations on funding to the Board of Directors of the Community Foundation Alliance (our governing body). No lobbying or soliciting of grants committee members or board members will be permitted.
All organizations that have submitted grant applications will be notified of the outcome of the grants committee’s deliberation in writing.
A final report at project completion may be required by organizations whose applications are approved for funding. Instructions and any required forms will be provided at the time the grant is awarded.
February 21, 2020