(Tell City, Indiana) The 1818 Rome Courthouse receiving support for repair of a main roof beam, thanks to donors to Community Good Funds held by the Perry County Community Foundation.
Through the Foundation’s Community Good Grants Program, the Rome Community Center was awarded a $1,590 grant for restoration work at the 1818 Rome Courthouse. The grant will assist with the repair of the main roof beam, an essential component of the preservation of the Courthouse’s cupola.
The Rome Courthouse was built in 1818 and served as the Perry County Courthouse until 1859, when the county seat moved to Tell City. The building continued to be vital in the community and served as both a school and a church. Today, the 1818 structure houses a community center and work has begun to raise needed dollars to assist with vital repairs and renovations.
Pictured during the grant presentation from left, are Sharle Sutcliffe, Secretary, Rome Community Center; Emily Davis, Regional Director of Community Engagement and Impact for the Foundation; Mona Leitner with the Friends of 1818 Rome Courthouse; Mimi Fiedler, Vice Chair for the Friends of 1818 Rome Courthouse; and Brent and Mary K. Cardinal, Founders of the Cardinal-Smith-Etienne Fund, one of the Community Good Funds held by the Perry County Community Foundation.