Talking With Your Client About Charitable Giving
Community Foundation Alliance is a single, trusted resource your clients can use to give back to the community they care about most, while gaining maximum tax benefit under state and federal law.
We offer a variety of giving options—including the ability to set up a charitable fund in your client’s name. It’s just one way we can help you help your clients achieve their personal and financial goals.
Three reasons to work with the Alliance
We partner with you. We provide support, information and expertise related to charitable giving options. You stay in control of your client relationships; we’re here to help you serve your clients’ charitable giving needs.
We help you build stronger relationships. Studies show that many high net worth individuals are expecting to talk about giving as they make financial plans with their advisors. They will appreciate the charitable impact and tax advantages you help them achieve by working with the Alliance.
We help you connect across generations. When you help families establish charitable funds at their Community Foundation, you begin an ongoing process of involvement with current and future generations.
Listening for charitable giving opportunities
Philanthropic planning can be considered part of clients’ overall planning process. By discussing their charitable goals, you may be able to help them increase their current income, increase their heirs’ inheritance, leave a legacy in the community and teach their children about philanthropy.
Consider charitable giving as part of these conversations:
- Year-end tax planning
- Preserving an estate
- Retiring in comfort
- Establishing a private foundation
- Sale of farm
- Closely held stock
- Sale or disposition of highly appreciated stock
- Sale of a business
- Substantial retirement assets
- Harvest options
Serving philanthropists and their trusted advisors
Attorneys, CPAs, financial planners, brokers, insurance agents and other professional advisors partner with community foundations to help enrich the charitable giving strategies of their clients. Here’s why:
- Neutral charity option: The Alliance helps donors achieve their charitable goals. We make grants to support a broad spectrum of local organizations and community needs—ranging from the environment, arts, education, and economic development to special programs for youth, family, and seniors.
- Planned giving expertise: We offer information on a range of planned giving options—from executing gifts of real estate, stock, or personal property to establishing income-producing charitable annuities. We help advisors provide their clients with the best charitable giving strategies based on each client’s unique financial situation, tax status, and giving goals. Are you ever asked, “How can I make sure my charitable gifts will make a difference?” The Alliance can provide information on the programs and agencies that are working effectively in the area that interests your client.
- Great giving experience: The Alliance can establish Donor Advised Funds—the popular mechanism through which a client can make a charitable gift and stay personally involved in suggesting uses for that gift over time. We are frequently named in bequests as stewards for estate assets that a client wishes to direct to address specific areas of community need in perpetuity. Giving through the Community Foundation Alliance also provides a client time and resources for evaluating potential grant recipients, as well as the ability to give to multiple charities with a single gift.
- Daviess County Community Foundation
- Gibson County Community Foundation
- Knox County Community Foundation
- Perry County Community Foundation
- Pike County Community Foundation
- Posey County Community Foundation
- Spencer County Community Foundation
- Vanderburgh Community Foundation
- Warrick County Community Foundation